Home / Intelligence / Blog / Insights & Analytics in Life Sciences: How to Embrace a Future with Generative AI
Published December 18, 2023
First, A Few Potentially Unsettling Truths
- Adoption and adaptation to Generative AI (GenAI) is a strategic imperative for pharma commercial insights departments if they want to maintain and enhance their relevance, impact, and strategic value within their organizations.
- Organizations are increasingly data-driven; market research teams that do not leverage AI will struggle to provide the timely, nuanced insights that modern pharma marketing organizations demand, diminishing their role in critical decision-making processes.
- Top talent gravitates towards innovation. Departments that fail to adopt cutting-edge AI tools may struggle to attract and retain the best in the field, further eroding their effectiveness and relevance.
- Budgets and resources are tightening for pharma commercial insights—embracing GenAI is a path to getting more from the investment your organization makes in research.
Broader Context & Concerns
From our industry benchmarking research, we know that GenAI is seen as the biggest trend for 2024 in pharma Insights & Analytics (I&A). There is massive pressure from stakeholders, senior management and even board members to do something with GenAI—and constant questions about creating and accessing the capabilities to operationalize it.
Yet these stakeholders themselves may not really understand the technology that they are asking I&A to implement and use. There are legitimate concerns around “hallucinations” and whether GenAI can be used to help pull disparate info together to “tell a story”…which is what stakeholders really want.
At the same time, I&A departments are increasingly coming under resource constraints, from both a research budget and headcount perspective. Organizations are demanding that market research dollars increase value for spend, and insights professionals are being asked to do more as department headcounts get capped or constrained.
From our own experience and from talking widely to (often frustrated) pharma knowledge workers, we know they often spend a disproportionate amount of time on foundational work such as searching for information, gathering data and putting together first drafts of presentations and documents. GenAI allows insights workers to focus their time on higher value work—drawing out meaningful insights, telling the story of what research is revealing and providing strategic recommendations.
The Questions That Matter
I&A team leaders are left with a set of challenging questions—how can they:
- Provide more immediate access to and summarization of brand research, even in its most granular form (e.g. customer verbatims)?
- Increase “institutional” memory of brand research and insights?
- Improve integration of research across projects, time and teams?
- Reduce duplicative research, saving time and money and still getting brand insights?
- Increase the amount of time their team spends on the “high value work” of drawing out insights and recommendations from brand research, thereby increasing productivity?
So Where Should I&A Leaders Focus?
Rapidly Deployable, Scalable Solutions: Pick solutions that can start small and scale easily as your organization embraces the technology. This approach provides a practical, low-barrier entry point into the world of GenAI, tailored to your unique market research needs.
Uncompromised Security and Privacy: Make sure any vendors you work with prioritize the security and privacy of your proprietary data. Solutions should operate within a secure, private GenAI environment, ensuring that your sensitive information remains confidential and accessible only to your team.
Acceptance of and Preparation for Change: Choose solutions that can pivot and change, as GenAI technologies will evolve rapidly. These cannot be “deploy once and forget it” solutions. Use vendors that can provide outside-in perspectives and have robust learnings from deploying solutions across many companies.
Human-in-the-Loop Technology: Mitigate risks–hallucinations and errors are the GenAI risks that are probably cited most. There are AI techniques that can drastically reduce these risks, enable humans to ensure accuracy and reliability, and provide feedback to improve any GenAI system constantly.
In short, implement quickly, scale as needed; focus on secure, private, proprietary, human-in-the loop technology and process to transform the way your insights organization works.
Insights Excellence Through GenAI
Trinity leverages Brand Insights AI extensively to weave together disparate information sources into compelling narratives. Let us show you how you can do the same, transforming data into stories that resonate and inform.
Brand Insights AI is a custom-created GenAI tool designed by experts with deep technical knowledge and expertise in the nuances of life sciences research…a truly bespoke system for pharma.
- Works across the research spectrum: therapeutic areas, patient, prescriber, payer, qualitative, quantitative and more
- Powered by each client’s data and Trinity’s domain expertise to inform build, continual improvement and data quality—from the back end to the front end (data prep to prompt engineering)
- Built with Trinity AI’s tested expertise in developing, deploying and supporting SaaS applications for pharma commercial operations
- Adjusts to life sciences’ evolving needs with agile, tailorable design
- Can scale to accommodate all sizes of organizations and brands at all stages of the lifecycle
Brand Insights AI can be implemented in weeks and is enterprise ready upon delivery.
Our private AI models ensure data and valuable IP are always secure and never inappropriately shared.
Author: Steven Laux
Explore secure Generative AI solutions for Market Research Insights
Cracking the Code on Generative AI: From Hype to Impact
Available On Demand
Watched our AIML 101 webinar and ready to learn more? Trinity Life Sciences is excited to continue the conversation with our next webinar, which will dive deeper into how pharma companies can move beyond the hype to unlock the value of Generative AI (GenAI). Join Trinity experts, Steve Laux, VP of Commercial Insights & Advanced Analytics, Nabha […]
Tethering to Reality: Integrating HCP-level Real-World Data into Brand Share Estimation
Share estimates from demand studies in primary market research (PMR) are a critical input for any forecast—their accuracy is paramount for successful brand planning. Successful prediction is often elusive—from 2020 through 2022, only one in ten products had actual performance that aligned with forecasted expectations.* Recognizing this challenge, Trinity experts developed a method that significantly […]
Patient Finding with AIML: Increasing Targeting Precision and Field Force Pull Through
Available On Demand
There are four key pieces to Patient Finding: All four are crucial to successfully find patients. Join Adrienne Lovink, Partner and Head of Real-World Evidence (RWE) at Trinity Life Sciences, as she hosts a lively discussion on the ins and outs of Patient Finding with Trinity panelists Steve Laux, Vice President of Commercial Insights & […]